Monday, March 8, 2010

Yo no soy marinero, soy capitan

I can't remember the last time I've suffered with insomnia. I fought getting up since 3 am or so, but I gave in just before 5 when I heard Negrito outside my sliding door making noise like he does. I wonder if he could sense I was riding the toss-n-turn train? The little shrine Diego has on his wall ( Maria Guadalupe Virgin de Concepcion Jesus Divino Nino) must never shut down, I can make out the red glow of the bulb in the window through the palm fronds. We've talked before about how early he gets up, but I think I've beat him today. I love it, he wakes up early so he can lay in the hammock. That's my man!

Hey! I just re-found Blind Pilot on my itunes, perfect for early-morning-half-open-eyes-crazy-talking. What sleep I did get was split between inappropriate dreams about mexican women, and bad dreams about my dad and my grandmother. I got an email last night from my little brother Wiley, apparently my sweet ole grandma is not doing so well. I'm not sure exactly what is happening back in Ohio, but he wrote that she has around a month or less left. How do they even determine that? She has been in a home for a long time now, and although she hasn't been suffering physically, her mind has been gone for some time. Grandpa left her stranded back when I was 16 or so, which reminds me I need to watch my intake of certain fats and bad cholesterol. Or do I? I don't see myself in poor Grandma's shoes, wasting away in some folding bed with little idea of what's going on around me. I guess it's hard to say for sure until I reach that age-range, but it seems like an awfully awful way to go. I've been looking at a picture I have on my phone of Wiley and myself with Grandma, I can close my eyes and see her chasing us both in the basement with a flyswatter because we had kicked the ball into the ceiling for the 454th time.

I was reading an article about the Mayans and dentistry, and they discussed how excavations of certain cities and graveyards were crucial in determining blah blah blah and etc as well. I'm wondering - how would it go over if I went down to Greenwood cemetery in Hamilton, OH and started my dig ( I'm researching the effect of excessive milk intake on bone density in Midwestern towns with populations around 60,000). Of course, I'm not serious, but it made me think what the cutoff is where it's acceptable to start digging up bones. How many years do I have to be in the dirt before someone can unearth me and earn grant money instead of being tossed in the slammer?
I made the mistake of putting Negrito back outside, and now he's whining like he's getting 55K a year plus benefits to do it. Pobrecito. I still feel a little foggy this morning, yesterday I think I had a little too much food and drink. Late morning and afternoon were spent on Ricardo's 40 foot cruiser, eating botanas and drinking cerveza while his captain drove us around for no real reason. Apparently, it's over $1000 to just put gas in this thing, which I understand has a tank on the small side and wouldn't last very long. I can't imagine having that kind of dinero, but I'm glad he does. It will make it much easier for him to buy this house out from under me. I love that the guy is so excited to get it closed, he's been helping me drive all over the place, tracking down documents that don't actually exist, battling it out with Mexican government workers (you thought the DMV was bad). Holy Moly. Yesterday he mentioned he'd like to have a party once he takes over the house, put a band out on the back terrace and have a ton of people over. I'm sure Dave will be smiling down, from what I'm told he was quite the entertainer, and many folks talk about the good times they had here at the house. As it sits, the only party I can think of is when I give Negrito a piece of Beggin and he goes crazy...oh yeah, and that time I found a scorpion in the kitchen - that was fun.

The March wind is blowing, and I'm turning my color. You're welcome Mom!


I feel like this entry is rather random. I think "impensado" is the random in espanol. I've developed the habit of carrying around my Langenscheidt diccionario around with me - leave it to the Germans to make the best spanish/english dictionary I could find. When I'm home, I've been tearing into my Spanish book from the last semester I took in college, and if you happen to be reading this cousin J-Reid, you know what I be talking about. Who doesn't love a good dose of indirect object pronouns, irregular preterite verb forms, or instructions solamente en Espanol? I love speaking spanish and learning from my neighbors, and the language is slowly but surely worming its way into my cerebro. Que bueno! Oh, Chela and Negrito are at the door, I better feed those locos. More later.



 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mijo,

I'm so sad to hear about tu Abuela de Burchez. Hold onto your happy memories of her. She has always loved you and your brother mucho, even if she did chase you con el swatter de flies. Voy a visitarle manana con su hermano. I'll give her a hug para ti, y cuando you come visit us in Ohio, I have a new waffle maker. They won't hold a candle to Grandma's, but we'll have some waffles anyway...
...hasta,
Mama