Sunday, January 3, 2010

No quiero casarte

I just realized I have a font on here called "Trebuchet".  Isn't that the cool old weapon, similar to a catapult, used to knock down walls or toss projectiles over them?  It was like the siege tank of that day - the most powerful weapon in the game (where ya at, Willy dog?!?!?!)  This has nothing to do with Mexico.

I'm trying my best not to hop on cnn.com or signonsandiego.com while I'm here in Mexico.  The U.S. seems so far away and is so far out of my mind, but if I take a little peek into the old reality, I end up right back in the mix of Obama did this and Rush had a heart-attack and Some crazy negro burned his junk trying to blow up a plane.  I love reading the occasional article concerning someone stumblling upon a tribe in the middle of the jungle somewhere - living like it did 800 years ago, with little to no knowledge of the world around them.  It seems like an awfully lame and unbelievably awesome way to exist.  I find myself staring once again at the back of an overweight gringo in the little lobby of the hotel I go to for internet access.  I wonder if the locals view me with as much disdain as I do the other tourists?  Why am I such an angry mofo?

Breaking news:  I just got off a skype call with my brauthers Wiley and Shawn - they are coming down to visit in a bit, and we were fine-tuning the plans.  I'm laughing at myself - it all seemed so normal to me to advise them that, should we get in an accident in the car, if I'm not hurt...I need them to beat me up a little so I'll go to the hospital instead of jail.  ¡Viva México!  Hopefully Mom skips this entry.


I spent a good portion of the day in Merida yesterday, wandering around looking for a good hammock.  I made some friends, and they took me to a really solid little mercado to talk to an uncle who ran a little shop.  He showed me the sub-par cotton hammocks that he normally sold to the gringos, but I got the secret stash (he had to pull back the counter to reveal a hidden storage compartment) - my hammock is the business!  Apparently, a good majority of the local people sleep in hammocks.  They build a lot of the homes with very strong strategically placed anchor points in the wall, so you can get 3 or 4 hammocks in one bedroom vs one or two beds.  In the morning, you take them down and put them away, and the space is used for something else.  The air circulation under you is a huge plus in the hot summers here, too.  I'm trying to sleep in mine instead of the bed now, last night was the first try and I didn't sleep very well.  It will take some getting used to.  I didn't know this, but you aren't supposed to sleep lengthwise, you sleep at an angle across the strands, so it opens up and your back is almost flat.  Good stuff.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That Hammock pic screams.. "Hey Diego, come on it for a good time.."

Worried.

I'm sure the hammock is better than my $5K NASA space aged memory foam piece of junk. Hate it. But the wife loves it because I jump in my sleep and she doesn't notice.

Stay Safe Brother. Love the Blog.

Wiley Burch said...

This is hilarious because Doug just built a trebuchet to help the taddlers with their science project. It launches tennis balls though, as opposed to a flaming assortment of medieval treats.

On another note, make sure NOT to have someone spin the hammock with you in it, because it is likely that you will rip through it with a vengeance, circa camping 1989.

lilfoker said...

Adam, beware, I think some dude sneaks in and takes pictures of you (using your own camera) while you are asleep half naked in your hammock with the rod airing out. Or are you just faking for the cause? Disturbing either way.

Cantholditdown said...

How much does one of those hammocks go for? I think I want one for my new place.